Thursday, July 5, 2012

SELF-PUBLISHING Step One

So I have been working on revamping my website.  Let me start over.  As I posted earlier, I have decided to join the ranks of the self-published.  Why?  It's not because no one will publish me, there was interest.  I'm doing it because I want control.  Yes, I'm a borderline control freak and proud of it.

Now the journey begins.  I recently completed an online course taught by Dr. Debra Holland (if you haven't read her story, visit her blog Dr. Debra Holland - Blog.)  She is a successful self-published writer.  She's very open about her journey, including the money.  The other good source for self-publishing information is Chicki Brown.  She is amazing and gets right to the point.  She gives to the point advice on how to self-publish.  She is an inspiration and not afraid to push the envelope with her writing.  Check out her blog Sister Scribbler.  Both of these sites have been very informative.  Now I'm ready.

First things first, complete the book...thank God I did this.  In fact, I have three completed.  I'm working on two series: The Alex Chronicles and The Kyla Series.  I have two books complete with Alex and One with Kyla plus the first three chapters in the second book.

I learned when you self-publish, you have a different time line or schedule and it's best to have more than one book ready to go.  I thought I was ahead of the game because I had at least one book ready for each series.  However, it's best to have  more in case your readers demand to read more.  I like saying demand...in faith.  So, that pushed me back a little.  I was thirty pages away from completing Alex Three when I got that little revelation.  I put her down and started re-editing Alex Two with thoughts about Kyla Two looming in the back of my head.  Now, I'm feverishly finishing the edits on Alex Two so I can finish writing Kyla Two.

Next on the list is all the prep to get ready for launch day.  I'm hoping to have the first books in both series ready by fall.  That's not a problem, except for one little thing...a cover.  I have spent the past couple of days trying to find the right image for Kyla Book One.  I have Alex One and Two, but it's Kyla that's proving to be a challenge.  The cover is supposed to tell or give you a hint about the story.  Briefly, Kyla isn't a Christian and she's leading a very wild life with a married man.  So a sweet and innocent cover isn't quite right.  I want something a little risqué, not lewd and there in lies the problem.


If you know of any great stock photo sites, please let me know.  Here's a list of where I've been looking:
Masterfile
Stockphoto
Photos.com
Inmagine
Super Stock
Getty Images
123RF
Fotolia
Trunk Archive

My eyes are tired.


The other prep thing I've been working on is the new website.  What started out as a minor revamp, has turned into a complete remodel.  The new site looks nothing like what is currently online.  Since I'm self-publishing, I have to do ALL of the marketing, which means I need a professional looking site that will draw the reader in.  It will also have all the book covers, but wait, I don't have a Kyla Cover, yet.

I did find an image I loved, problem, is the cost was equal to two pairs of YSL Tribute sandals, a bottle of Chanel No5 parfum, and an iPhone.  So the search is on.  I have tried every tag word combination I can think of to lead me to the perfect royalty free image.  I know it's out there, I just have to keep searching.  I can relaunch the new website without all of the book cover images, but I can't sell an ebook without a cover image.



Keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment